Title: MAINTENANCE & PIGGERY ASSISTANT
Company: Number Two Piggeries (Pty) Ltd
Location: Cookhouse, Eastern Cape
Number Two Piggeries (N2P) is a diversified agricultural holding company focusing on primary production and processing within the pork and dairy industry and employing a diverse workforce of >1 600 employees.
N2P was founded by David Osborne, David Miles and Philip Von Mommerty in the 1970s and is headquartered in Queenstown, South Africa.
N2P is a significant primary agricultural producer in Southern Africa. The company is proud to be a market leader in pork production in South Africa.
The company is proud to be a market leader in South Africa with a ~23-24% market share, based on national sow herd and slaughter volumes respectively.
N2P does not however only operate in Piggeries and has diversified into other agricultural companies that compliment the piggery portfolio, as outlined below:
N2P has 26 piggeries across South Africa and Namibia, with >310 000 pigs of which more than 26 000 are sows. These biosecure piggeries range from Weaner and Grower farms to full Farrow to Finish units and spread geographically across South Africa and Namibia. N2P has a significant interest in market-leading pig genetics, PIC South Africa.
N2P has 4 abattoirs. These abattoirs slaughter most of the group’s livestock, including 1 export approved facility based in the Western Cape, South Africa. The abattoirs are group owned and are managed abattoirs to slaughter most of the group’s livestock and add value to primary production.
N2P has 8 dairy units (some of them have more than one dairy/milking platform) producing > 195,000 litres per day. These dairies are all pasture-based dairies, situated in the Eastern Cape and managed under the internal “Just Milk” brand. An operational cheese factory (Cookhouse Creamery) also forms part of the dairy division.
CROP AND BEEF
N2P has 2 750 hectares maize, 950 hectares soya and >3 500 beef cattle herd. These farms aim to maximize the utilisation of strategically positioned farms by adding crop and beef.
- This role is suitable for a young, eager, and hard-working individual who will be responsible for maintenance as well as piggery work.
- This role will be responsible for coordinating installations, maintenance, and repair work in farm buildings and or surrounding complexes. The role also includes regularly inspecting sites, maintaining farm equipment, and assigning workers to various projects.
- The role will also assist the farm manager on treating grower pigs, loading, and receiving such pigs and making sure that daily routines and duties run smoothly in the Growing department.
- Any level of tertiary qualification/ National Senior Certificate (Grade 12)
- Maintenance experience (1 year) – able to do welding
- Driver’s license (code 10)
- Exposure to agricultural industry
- Computer literate with capability in email, MS Office suite skills and related communication tools
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
- Inspect sites regularly to identify problems i.e., water leakages, broken fence, the need for welding and necessary maintenance.
- Prepare weekly maintenance schedules and allocate work as per forecasted workloads.
- Coordinate daily cleaning and maintenance activities.
- Oversee all repairs and ensure that work is completed on time.
- Maintain all inventory and equipment and ensure proper storage.
- Comply with all health and safety regulations and practices on site. Conduct safety inspections.
- Conduct follow-ups on all maintenance and repair work.
- Clean feed troughs (prior feeding) and prepare feed for grower pigs.
- Assist with daily procedures and checks (sick pigs, treatments, maintenance, cleaning). Assist grower supervisor in transporting grower pigs (comfortability in each compartment).
- Health & safety – ensure drivers strictly adhere to all health and safety rules when transporting grower pigs and offloading weaner pigs.
- Assist grower supervisor to record all treatment used on the medical register.
- Pig receival – ensure grower pig pens are hygienically clean with fresh water.
- Ensure handling of animals to high welfare standards. The five freedoms: hunger and thirst; discomfort; pain, injury, and disease; express normal behavior; fear and distress.
- Assist with general farm work.
Closing date for applications: 18 August 2021
Number Two Piggeries (Pty) Ltd would like to thank all applicants, however only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.
For further information regarding this job post please contact:
Name: Marléne Krüger
Tel: 087 161 0328
Career Services Team
Career Services (Previously known as Co-operative Education)